DeVos Family Goes All In To Support James Who Has Said, “The Job Betsy DeVos Is Doing in Public Education, I Think Is Very Very Good.”
The Detroit News has revealed that Betsy DeVos’ family is funneling nearly a million dollars in a super PAC dedicated to supporting failed Senate candidate John James.
Given James’ continued praise for Betsy DeVos and her policies, which have hurt Michigan families, it’s no surprise why the DeVos’ are going all in for him again, after donating $78,200 to James’ senate campaigns. In 2018, James said Betsy DeVos – who has repeatedly weakened rules on for-profit colleges allowing them to take advantage of students struggling with student loans, sided with private schools and acadmies, and rolled back sexual assault guidlines requiring colleges to hold perpetrators accountable – was doing “very, very good.”
Detroit News: DeVos family pumps $800,000 into super PAC targeting Peters:
- Members of West Michigan’s influential DeVos family have given $800,000 to a group focused on unseating Democratic U.S. Sen. Gary Peters, according to new fundraising disclosures. Democrats alleged the contributions show Peters’ GOP opponent, Farmington Hills businessman John James, will stand with U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos and her family.
- Six members of the DeVos family gave a total of $800,000 to Better Future MI Fund, a super political action committee, on Dec. 9.
- Better Future MI Fund formed Oct. 31, according to a filing with the Federal Election Commission. The super PAC had to file its first campaign finance disclosure, covering the last two months of 2019, on Jan. 31.
- The super PAC’s only contributors were, at that point, from six members of the DeVos family. Daniel and Pamella DeVos, listed as executives with RDV Corp., each contributed $200,000. Cheri DeVos and her husband, Steve Ehmann, each gave $100,000. And Doug and Maria DeVos each gave $100,000.
- Tori Sachs, who served as campaign manager for James during his 2018 race for the U.S. Senate, is now consulting for Better Future MI Fund. Sachs declined to discuss the DeVos family contributions on Thursday, saying she wouldn’t comment “on fundraising or strategy.”
The Michigan Democratic Party launched JohnJamesRevealed.com to hold the failed U.S. Senate candidate accountable for his positions – including those made over the course of the 2018 campaign that he then tried to delete after losing that campaign. Since announcing he’d run again, just over six months after his last failed bid, James has been hiding from Michigan voters and refusing to answer questions from Michigan media.