In the final sprint to Election Day, failed politician and failed businessman John James has doubled down on his “2,000%” support for Trump. Despite months of trying to paper over his record and have it both ways, the truth is James recently earned Trump’s “total and complete endorsement” because he’ll be a reliable vote for Trump and Mitch McConnell’s toxic agenda which has failed Michigan.
Just like Trump, James broke his promises to Michigan
James has made clear he’s “all for” the Trump agenda which includes gutting protections for pre-existing conditions, threatening Social Security, and his mismanaged Coronavirus response which has cost nearly 7,000 Michigan lives and left roughly 2.6 million Michiganders unemployed.
And just like Trump, James has taken a page from the “Art of the Deal” playbook by taking nearly $2 million in tax breaks while failing to create the jobs promised and actually cutting Michigan jobs – and then lying about being a successful Michigan job creator at a time when he had “failed to create a single job in Michigan.”
- New York Times: A Black Republican Feels the Sting of Racism but Is Silent on Trump
- AP: GOP rising star John James faces trouble at top of ticket
- The Detroit News: Trump Jr. says John James is ‘all for’ the president’s agenda
- MLive: Donald Trump offers ‘total and complete endorsement’ of John James in Michigan
- Detroit Metro Times: Company run by GOP Senate candidate John James lost tax exempt status after failing to create promised jobs
- The Gander: Leaked Video Shows John James Turning Back on ‘Nonpartisan’ Politics He Promised
- Daily Beast: GOP Senate Candidate Chastises Trump and Then Fundraises With Don Jr.
- Detroit Metro Times: Republican Senate candidate John James says it’s pointless to call out Trump’s racism in leaked audio
- Lansing City Pulse: James Ignoring Media Outside Of Fox News And Why It Matters
- Deadline Detroit: Michigan Senate candidate John James can’t quite go there with Trump criticism
- Detroit Metro Times: Trump accused of violating federal law by promoting Senate candidate John James at Ypsilanti event
James can’t be trusted to protect Michiganders with pre-existing conditions
James has said in his own words that the Affordable Care Act is a “monstrosity” and promised to “work [his] tail off” to repeal it if elected. But he “has not detailed” how he would protect people with pre-existing conditions, and has “declined to comment” on the Trump-GOP led lawsuit which could gut coverage for pre-existing conditions within a year. And James fully supports the GOP tax scam that made the lawsuit to take away health care possible, calling it a “massive Christmas present.”
If James had his way, the law which protects 1.7 million Michiganders with pre-existing conditions would be overturned – and he has offered “no meaningful plan for replacing it” or protecting coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- Lansing City Pulse: James aligns with Republicans on threats to repeal the ACA
- Holland Sentinel: Letter: John James won’t protect Michiganders healthcare
- Michigan Advance: Report: 827K Michiganders would lose health coverage if ACA is overturned
- Michigan Advance: Michigan ranks 6th for adults stripped of health care during pandemic
James is Mitch McConnell, Betsy DeVos and GOP mega donors’ hand-picked candidate
John James is a favorite candidate of Mitch McConnell, Betsy DeVos, Dick Uihlein and far-right GOP mega donors because they know he’ll be a rubber stamp for their agenda which puts special interests and billionaires first. James’ special interest backers have gone in big to boost him on the airwaves with baseless smears that have been fact-checked and exposed for their false attacks. James has even faced scrutiny for desperately soliciting dark money, outside support.
He’s also benefited from a “cozy relationship” with Betsy DeVos’ family, who gave nearly a million dollars in seed money to set up a shady super PAC run by James’ former campaign manager. James says DeVos is doing “very, very good” in her role as Secretary of Education and aligns with her anti-education agenda which has failed Michigan students.
- Salon: Michigan GOP candidate who downplayed ties to DeVos hires her niece after getting $1M cash infusion
- Detroit News: DeVos family pumps $800,000 into super PAC focused on Senate race
- Michigan Advance: Betsy DeVos said her husband would halt ‘political contributions.’ He hasn’t.
- MLive: John James campaign accused of coordinating with ‘dark money’ group
- Michigan Radio: DeVos-funded PAC raises $800,000 to unseat Sen. Gary Peters
- Detroit News: Michigan Democrats claim John James solicited support from ‘dark money’ group
- Detroit News: GOP group already spending nearly $1 million against Peters in U.S. Senate race
The Michigan Democratic Party launched JohnJamesRevealed.com to hold the failed U.S. Senate candidate accountable for his positions – including those made over the course of the 2018 campaign that he then tried to delete after losing that campaign. For the first year of his campaign, James was largely in hiding from Michigan press and voters to try to paper over his out-of-touch record, and has only come out of hiding after facing scrutiny from Michiganders.