More Than 250 Days Since Launching His Campaign, John James *Still* Nowhere to Be Found on Local TV
Today, John James Revealed is launching a new clock where you can see how long failed Senate candidate John James has gone without holding a public event or answering questions from Michigan press.
John James has now spent more than 250 days avoiding local TV, an impressive streak when running for statewide office. Earlier this week, we delivered a special award to the Michigan Republican Party to mark the milestone in James’ elusive campaign.
While hiding from Michigan press, James has refused to comment on his meeting with indicted foreign agent Lev Parnas, Mitch McConnell’s effort to block witnesses in the impeachment trial, the ongoing GOP lawsuit to gut the Affordable Care Act, and most recently, Trump’s budget blueprint — which would slash Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security funding. When James does reappear, it’s usually at out-of-state fundraisers where he’s spending time with Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell courting elite GOP mega-donors.
“You can get a lot done in 250 days — unless you’re John James and you’ve spent the entire time hiding from local TV ,” said MDP spokesperson Elena Kuhn. “Starting today, Michiganders can see exactly how James has been ducking local press and voters, and trying to hide his toxic record of support for ripping away pre-existing conditions coverage and backing Trump ‘2000%.’”
Read more about John James’ ongoing campaign… to avoid scrutiny from Michigan press and voters:
Detroit Metro Times: U.S. Senate candidate John James has ducked media questions for months
- Where in the hell is John James?
- That’s a question on the minds of many journalists who have been unable to reach the Republican U.S. Senate candidate since he announced last year that he’s running against incumbent Sen. Gary Peters.
- In fact, Tuesday marked the 250th day that James has not spoken with a local Michigan TV station and 143 days without answering a question from a newspaper reporter in the state, according to the Michigan Democratic Party.
- Metro Times has tried to reach James for several months, but his campaign failed to return each call. James has ducked questions about his meeting with indicted foreign agent Lev Parnas, Republican senators blocking witnesses in the impeachment trial, and President Donald Trump’s budget that would severely cut Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security funding.
- While James has not made time to talk with reporters, he has found time for out-of-state fundraisers.
Oakland Confidential: Hello? Anybody There?
- It’s a U.S. Senate version of Where’s Waldo? – local conservative radio personality Frank Beckmann recently appeared on the Paul W. Smith show on WJR to voice his criticism of Republican U.S. Senate candidate John James invisibility as far as Michigan voters and media are concerned.
- Both conservative radio hosts agreed with Beckmann’s assessment that James appeared to be hiding from questions from both sides for the last several months, and wondered why he seemed so afraid to talk to anyone in Michigan, noting he has been visible in out-of-state fundraisers.
- James unsuccessfully ran for the Senate in 2018 against Senator Debbie Stabenow – and both hosts wondered if he was trying a different tactic – like a cloak of invisibility – this time.“We really haven’t thought about him very much because he’s not out there,” said Smith. Beckmann agreed it didn’t make much sense to him. Ouch.
The Michigan Democratic Party launched JohnJamesRevealed.com to hold the failed U.S. Senate candidate accountable for his positions – including those made over the course of the 2018 campaign that he then tried to delete after losing that campaign. Since announcing he’d run again, just over six months after his last failed bid, James has been hiding from Michigan voters and refusing to answer questions from Michigan media.