A new report confirms failed politician John James is “all for” for Trump’s agenda – just days after getting caught trying to distance himself from the president in a private meeting with African American community leaders in Detroit.
In a private fundraiser this week, Donald Trump Jr. reassured donors that James is “all for [Trump’s] agenda. He understands it. He’s going to implement it.”
James’ flip flop is just the latest example of him “trying to have it both ways” – as the Detroit News notes that Trump Jr.’s comment from the fundraiser “contrasts with remarks by James, who says he’s willing to disagree with the president when he’s wrong on policy.”
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- Donald Trump Jr. said during a virtual fundraiser for Republican candidate John James on Monday that he is “all for” his father’s agenda and would “implement it” if elected to the U.S. Senate.
- The statement contrasts with remarks by James, who says he’s willing to disagree with the president when he’s wrong on policy.
- Trump Jr., who previously campaigned in Michigan for James, warned supporters on the video conference call that the media would try to pit President Donald Trump and James against one another to make voters doubt their support for one another, according to a recording of the fundraiser obtained by The Detroit News.
- “This is the nonsense that we will be living the next six months, so I can assure everyone that John is all for the agenda. He understands it. He’s going to implement it, and he’s going to be an incredible United States senator,” Trump Jr. said.
- James, a businessman from Farmington Hills, responded in part by saying the president’s agenda “lines up closely with what’s best for Michigan.”
- He is running for U.S. Senate for a second time after losing to U.S Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Lansing, by 6.5% of the vote in 2018.
- The fundraiser remarks come amid reports that James is distancing himself from Trump on certain issues after saying during his 2018 campaign that he supported Trump’s agenda “2,000 percent.”
- A recent Politico report said James privately told black community leaders that he disagrees with the president on issues including “cutting Great Lakes funding to ‘—-hole countries’ to speaking ill of the dead.”
- James later told The Detroit News that he’s been making similar remarks about being able to disagree with Trump for “years.”
- The Michigan Democratic Party slammed James for fundraising with the president’s son, saying it was a “flip flop.”
- “John James can’t stop trying to have it both ways,” party spokeswoman Elena Kuhn said. “After taking heat for talking out both sides of his mouth, James’ move to rake in campaign cash with Trump Jr. is a clear indication of where his loyalty really stands — 2,000% with Donald Trump not with Michigan families.”
- The James fundraiser via Zoom on Monday afternoon was advertised as a $1,000 donation for the “VIP table” and $100 for town hall attendees, according to a copy of the invitation.
The Michigan Democratic Party launched JohnJamesRevealed.com to hold the failed U.S. Senate candidate accountable for his positions – including those made over the course of the 2018 campaign that he then tried to delete after losing that campaign. Since announcing he’d run again, just over six months after his last failed bid, James has been hiding from Michigan voters and refusing to answer questions from Michigan media.